Originally Posted by Bostonian
I wonder if Canadian universities have a smaller or bigger problem with alcohol abuse than American universities.
Dang - you sent me down the rabbit hole. Interesting question. Lousy data, though.

The only decent comparison I found is old, but from other bits and pieces I read, I suspect its conclusion probably still generally holds: Canadian students are more likely to drink, but American students are more likely to drink heavily.

http://archive.sph.harvard.edu/cas/Documents/Canadian1/CanadaPaper.pdf

It's worth noting a huge amount has changed in the last 20 years since this study, though. Two particular things worth noting: First, Ontario eliminated grade 13 in 2003, so all first-year students would now be assumed to be under the drinking age (19 in Ontario). As a result, alcohol is no longer part of sanctioned frosh activities, and is increasingly being reduced, especially in residences . Second, campuses have been taking their role in controlling youth drinking with increasing seriousness and most are actually doing something about it these days. (Youth overall in both countries are drinking a lot less, too. Also, Canada doesn't have much in the way of frats, UofT excepted, so that helps).

My guess is that young students will find what they are looking for. Those exploding out of control with their first taste of freedom will be able to hunt down all the wildness they want - but the significant portion who are there to learn and grow will find no shortage of like-minded peers and a generally-supportive atmosphere. Eek - it kinda all comes back to how well we as parents have managed to prepare them for this independence - and I am very, very aware that some kids take to that far more easily than others. (ADHD and risk taking, ulp).