My DD - now 13 - has every possible LD and processing issue. 11 current diagnoses. I have to say the one that is the most frustrating for ME is the slow processing speed. She has had great interventions and has worked her derrière off. Dyslexia is remediated, dysgraphia has work arounds in place, she is finally clicking with the math interventions. But the slow processing speed just...is. Unlike vision therapy or OG or speech therapy there isn't something to make it better.

Interestingly it doesn't seem to bother her too much. Every camp or program when I have to fill out the parent info form I write something like - "DD is s-l-o-w at everything. She is *very* smart and understands everything. Please don't mistake her learning disabilities or slow processing speed for lack of intellect." Now that she is older most people figure out pretty quickly that she really does get it. She has also learned to stand up for herself and say something like "I understand it can be frustrating for you but I can't help it. I have slow processing speed and I move slowly. It's just who I am - I can't help it." Self awareness makes a HUGE difference.

That being said I have had to develop stores of patience I didn't think were possible. I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Will you hurry up already" or other nonhelpful things. We have to start earlier and streamline getting ready in the morning. We have come to realize she learns best in 1-1 or nonstructured settings. She has amazing focus and work ethic and ends up learning more than other kids but she has to do it her way. Give her a room by herself and an iPad and enough time and she will shine. A full classroom with multiple worksheets to be completed in a limited time and you get nothing. Just the way she is.

I'm guessing this is not what you wanted to hear but it's our reality. And DD is doing pretty darn well with it. Different isn't bad - it's just different...