Let's say for a moment that I get DS to use LaTeX or LyX. Do the teachers also need to be trained in this for it to be successful? I'm thinking of exams, handouts, etc. We still don't have any system for exams and how he is supposed to type his answers. Sometimes there might be something like a graph or a figure on the page and the kids are expected to write on it.

Right now the district's attitude is to basically shrug their shoulders and say "well, LaTex is embedded in EquatIO so that addresses your concerns." Um, no it doesn't because no one is training him in either.

I did take a closer look at EquatIO and believe we have access to the premium version by logging into his school acct. I looked up some speech to text commands and tried them out. For Algebra 2 this might work but not sure about higher level math. Also, I can't imagine him speaking loudly into a chromebook in the middle of a class. There is handwriting recognition. But we would need to switch the chromebook to tablet mode and get him a stylus (if it's possible with his district issued chromebook?). He can't write a lot but it may help if he can't figure out how to convert something by typing or speaking. But no one has tried that with him and the chromebook is kept at school so I can't take a look at it. At home he is using a desktop. It's just really frustrating how complicated this is and having minimal support from the school district. Thanks for all the info.