Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent thoughts on using AT for math writing. We are not sure what math course my 11-year-old DS is taking in the fall but I think it's Algebra 2. The math sequence is Algebra 1, geometry, Algebra 2 and then pre-calc, but they think he should reverse geometry and Algebra 2 to make their scheduling easier. Not sure if that's a great idea or not. They also think he should do Algebra 2 using some sort of online program because they can't keep him in a gifted cluster for other subjects if they put him in an 8th grade Algebra 2 class.

He has been typing his math using something called EquatIO. We have been told by 2 professors that LaTex is the best math writing program. It's already in his Google Acct. But I believe he has to choose either EquatIO OR LaTex whenever he types anything, and I don't know what the differences are. Has anyone heard of either of these two apps or tried them? I want to make sure he is trained in whatever is going to be the most useful moving into Calculus.

DS's motor coordination is below the first percentile and he still can't keyboard very well, so all of this has been kind of nightmarish, esp. with him being accelerated so much. I'm debating having him just skip math for a year, if that's possible/allowed. I can't imagine him in an independent course if he is so shaky using assistive technology.

Last edited by blackcat; 07/31/18 07:13 AM. Reason: typos