We are in a similar boat with our daughter now 13 and about to complete 8th grade. The decision that we took was to basically ignore the B&M school stuff and concentrate on 'acceleration' aka moving at her pace using AoPS outside of school.

She also did the AoPS beginners Python class, Number theory and Combinatorics in addition to the standard (Pre-Alg, Alg I, Alg II) sequence to keep her stimulated and broaden the scope of her Maths education (and to slow her down).

She has finished the AoPS Algebra II class and is a good way through their Pre-Calculus (almost halfway). We will pause that class and resume it in the Autumn so she can enjoy her time at CTY unfettered.

She will take the High School Algebra II & Trig exams tomorrow and Friday AMs. Our aim is to have her attempt to resume B&M school maths with Pre-Calculus in her freshman year.

My wife and I feel that it is better to keep our daughter stimulated and learning how to learn than to have her stagnating doing the same thing over and over again for weeks in the regular classroom.

If your son is keen to do it then why not?

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/06/18 06:12 PM.

Become what you are