Grade skipping is not a panacea. Both my children were recommended for it by our school and we allowed it for math but pulled my son back and my daughter will probably need to repeat. Here's why - son was lonely and felt like an outsider. He's awkward and couldn't fit in socially. He felt like it was a punishment. My daughter enjoyed it socially but has never really liked math. This year she is in 7th and doing 9th grade math and she's pulling in C's. They keep telling me they don't understand why she's struggling when her MAPS scores are so high. It is because she doesn't pay attention to details and she doesn't like her teacher. She's gifted but not organized or motivated. So here's what I recommend - grade skipping may be helpful but for the 4 people in my extended family who did it, it was socially a mistake. Remember you'd be sending your 16 year old to college one day!

We pushed for in class accommodations to the extent that our children wanted it. Don't worry about grades until high school. My boy never needed spelling so we presented the teachers each year with SAT vocabulary lists starting in 1st. He took their tests but did the homework (and turned in) the enrichment we provided. In math we introduced the teachers to khan academy and sumdog websites and asked if he could self direct.

If you're determined to grade skip, the easiest thing I know worked in our district was to request that the child be given the end of the year tests at the beginning. That is the knowledge that she will need to know - and if she already knows it, than you have a more compelling argument for acceleration or enrichment.