Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I did a cursory search for this topic in the past posts, but I didn't find anything using the search terms that I chose, so please forgive me if this topic has been covered before. (And direct me to the thread!)

My DD8 is at a public school that has "gifted" in the name, but it's really been a struggle for her to get appropriate differentiation. The entire third grade class does fourth grade work, which seems to be the way that the school "accelerates" the gifted children.

Her report card and recent standardized tests came home and she's testing in the middle of 11th grade for reading, above 8th grade for science and beginning of 7th grade for math. However, her report card grades are MUCH lower. (Because she is not compliant with doing ALL of her classwork & homework.)

I think that she's bored doing work that is not challenging to her, but the refrain that I've always gotten is that she needs to comply with doing the work that she's assigned so that she can move on. She has made great improvements with doing her classwork and homework (she does all of it every day now.) But she's still not being accelerated.

Does anyone have advice for how to navigate this? The teacher has interpreted DD's lack of work to the fact that the work is too hard for her, but I think the work is too easy for her.

FYI, we live in a state that does not allow gifted children to have IEP's and really does not have a lot of resources for gifted education. Gifted education is essentially an "unfunded mandate" in our state.

Thanks!