Originally Posted by philly103
Originally Posted by aquinas
Excellent article.

Worth calling out is Part 4, The Privilege of an Education. Some of the more chastening quotes from that section are below to whet the appetite of any people considering reading the article.

My 16-year-old daughter is sitting on a couch, talking with a stranger about her dreams for the future. We’re here, ominously enough, because, she says, “all my friends are doing it.” For a moment, I wonder whether we have unintentionally signed up for some kind of therapy. The professional woman in the smart-casual suit throws me a pointed glance and says, “It’s normal to be anxious at a time like this.” She really does see herself as a therapist of sorts. But she does not yet seem to know that the source of my anxiety is the idea of shelling out for a $12,000 “base package” of college-counseling services whose chief purpose is apparently to reduce my anxiety. Determined to get something out of this trial counseling session, I push for recommendations on summer activities. We leave with a tip on a 10-day “cultural tour” of France for high schoolers. In the college-application business, that’s what’s known as an “enrichment experience.” When we get home, I look it up. The price of enrichment: $11,000 for the 10 days.

According to a 2017 study, 38 elite colleges—among them five of the Ivies—had more students from the top 1 percent than from the bottom 60 percent.

Only 2.2 percent of the nation’s students graduate from nonsectarian private high schools, and yet these graduates account for 26 percent of students at Harvard and 28 percent of students at Princeton.

Along the line of the private school pipeline to elite colleges, it's apparently even more exclusive than most realize. Even within the private school community, there is a subset of elite boarding schools which yield even more outsized benefits when it comes to acceptance to the elite colleges.

It's interesting the extent that these pathways to wealth and power are being determined at the middle school and high school level, not the college or professional level as is commonly discussed. And they're not being determined by effort but by whether or not one's parents choose the right private school and were able to pay for it.

Exactly.

What is to give light must endure burning.