Originally Posted by indigo
A few thoughts on Joy Hakim's history...

1) from wikipedia:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Criticism
Hakim's treatment of pre-modern Western history and the New World colonial period in History of Us: Making Thirteen Colonies has been criticized by the president of the Textbook League, William J. Bennetta. In particular, the concept of multiculturalism, including an asserted Chinese influence on European culture in The First Americans, has been criticized by Bennetta for its lack of support by archaeological or historical records. Some older middle school aged students could find the books graded towards a lower level, and therefore frustrating.

2) from Joy Hakim's website:
Originally Posted by Joy Hakim website
A Texas teacher, using the books to teach reading to low achieving students, saw reading scores soar and was named Texas Teacher of the Year.
These books may not be geared for gifted pupils.

My kid is gifted and used it at ages 9 and 10 and it was appropriate. But thanks for prediction that "some may find them geared towards a lower level, and frustrating". Never sure who those "some" are that are so frequently referred to. I don't think she GEARED them toward anyone. I think she wrote them.
Textbook league is William Bennetta. Anyone wondering about him can google him.
At the time we were using the series, there was a well organized campaign against them as anti Christian by the new earth crowd. They are quite secular and enlightening. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them as an adult and did not feel they were simple or talking down at all. Primary sources are good, and are taught in G3 with this series, and it helps to have some glue to bind them together for context.

Wikipedia is OK to quote when it suits one's purposes but "In general, a weebly website is not on par with Library of Congress and/or PBS. Students of history (and other topics) are often encouraged to seek out credible sources, and are encouraged to become familiar with distinguishing characteristics/features of credible sources."