Love what others have said above, especially Portia's hands-on basketball exercise.

I have had this conversation numerous times (probably about 2-3 times a week on average, for more years than I care to count), but usually with other people's children. No matter what the profile is (extremely low, extremely high, both), I typically present the same themes, in language appropriate to the individual:

Everyone has a profile, and this is yours. I could take any adult in your life (teachers, parents, coaches, etc.) and do a similar assessment, and I would find a profile of strengths and weaknesses. Some profiles have names, and yours happens to have this name. (It may or may not have the word "disability" or "disorder" in it--I am honest about including these words, because they will hear them at some point, and I believe in being truthful with children, as a foundation of trust.) This doesn't mean you are broken (or entitled). It's not a good or bad thing--it just is. What it becomes depends on what you do with it. The great thing about knowing your profile is that it helps you (and your parents) make good decisions about developing your strengths so you can fly with them, and supporting your weaknesses so they don't get in the way of you working toward your dreams and goals.

For some children, especially older learners with a greater awareness of their deficit areas--and more experiences of frustration in school--we have a frank discussion about the reality that institutional schools are really not designed for every learner, so it's not surprising that they may have to work harder and be less comfortable, just to achieve the same (or even lesser) results as a learner with a profile more suited to school: But someday, after compulsory education, you will find a setting that works for you, and allows your strengths to flourish more than they have in traditional K-12 education. Knowing your profile will help you to create this environment that supports your weaker areas, and plays to your strengths. In the meantime, know that you have to deal with some mis-fits that others don't, be proud of what you accomplish based on your character and efforts, don't be ashamed to take help when you need it, and make sure that what you choose to do in school keeps your options open for what you want to do in the future.

I only get those few minutes to convey all of this, but parents can have this conversation--possibly in little bits and pieces--over a longer period of time.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...