Although my personal experiences, and those of most early entrants I've known, have been net positive, I expect there is some validity to the contention that there is selection bias in these anecdotes. The many non-academic factors are why this is very much an individual and family decision, like so much else about raising outliers.

Some assorted thoughts:

Under our existing age/grade-locked system, there will always be trade offs to acceleration. But there are costs to not accelerating as well. LOG, social skills, degree of acceleration, level of institutional, community and family support, gender, physical and emotional maturity, areas of giftedness, executive functions, among many other factors, all contribute to your personal calculus.

Some 16-year-olds "pass" more easily among traditionally-aged college students than others. I think girls usually have an edge here, based on physical and social development.

Nothing wrong with living at home during college. Plenty of typically-aged and older college students do it, for eminently practical reasons. There is not only one "college experience".

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...