Welcome!

The FSIQ includes both VCI subtests, both FRI subtests, and one each from VSI, WMI, and PSI. As it happens, your DC has lower VSI and WMI, so the impact on FSIQ depends a bit on whether the two subtests contributing to those index scores were consistent with each other, and, if not, which one was the lower score.

Without the subtest scores, it's a bit more difficult to say what is going on, but speculatively, I wonder if there was a difference between his motor-involved and motor-free performance, as that might be a common thread between the relatively low VSI and the relatively low WMI. Both of the VSI tasks are hands-on assembly tasks, and one of the WMI tasks requires some perceptual-motor skill (placing a marker in a specific location). You are describing a child who can follow multistep verbal directions, but is challenged by handwriting and coloring (though I must say--cursive for four year-olds?), which suggests to me that his auditory working memory (at least) really is just fine, if not strong, but that he very well may struggle (comparatively) with some aspects of visual spatial skills. VCI and FRI are both motor-free. PSI came out high, but at this level, there are limited fine motor demands. Of course, many non-disabled four-year-olds (especially boys) have some challenges with fine motor skills and handwriting.

In your position, I would continue monitoring the behavior and fine motor development, and possibly investigate further with an occupational therapy evaluation (e.g., for motor coordination or motor planning), if he doesn't appear to be making progress, or has to pour excessive effort into making that progress. He is very young, so it's also possible that this is just a lagging skill that is developmentally within normal limits, and that he may catch up on his own. Or not. It can be hard to tell at this age.

Last edited by aeh; 12/12/17 06:33 PM. Reason: typo & more detail on OT

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...