Originally Posted by sanne
My son was coasting and still scored top 1-2% on MAPS in 4K, K, and 1st. (He was the only 4K student to take MAPS, it's not routinely done in 4K). Toward the end of 1st grade he dropped in some areas to 3%, which is not alarming, but was one piece of evidence showing that he wasn't thriving in ANY way in public school.

I used to care very much, and maybe a few years ago I might have suggested some prep, but now.... no, I definitely do not recommend prepping for standardized testing. The gifted program is not a guarantee he will be challenged in school, nor that he would apply himself. I wish the answers were simple and clear "get into this district, this program and everything is going to be okay". Heck, I'd move to Nevada for the Davidson school if it was that straightforward.

Your son's benefit, or lack of, from any academic program rests more on his non-academic abilities than his academic abilities, IMO. His social skill, motor skills, executive functioning skills, leadership, self-advocacy, work ethic, resilience are hard to measure, but can make or break a school experience. Put your energy towards these things, because acceleration/enrichment/extension without the child possessing soft skills will cause disappointment.

Sanne,

Thanks for your response. I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts on the non-academic skills. It's why I haven't pushed academics and wasn't concerned with prepping him (or test scores) until now. My reasoning for wanting him in the gifted program is actually for the social/emotional things you hit on. I've learned from past experiences that he thrives in a good educational fit. Likewise bad educational fits lead to depression, anxiety and behavioral issues -- which, in turn, leads to self esteem issues. So...... my desire for him to be in the gifted programming is actually in consideration of the exact things you listed.

FYI...I'm in the middle of reading "No Mind Left Behind: Understanding and Fostering Executive Control - The 8 Essential Brain Skills Every Child Needs to Thrive" by Adam Cox. If you haven't read it, I'd recommend it. From your post it seems like you could have authored it yourself. smile

Again, THANKS!

Laura