Hi,

I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on test preparation for 2nd grade MAP testing (and CogAt)?

Let me start off by saying that I am not a big fan of standardized tests. As a former teacher I have bad memories of our school forcing us to spend hours and hours and hours doing test prep with our students instead of engaging and meaningful learning.

Right now, however, I am wondering if I should be "preparing" my son for the MAP test next year. If so, what? A good app for the iPad? A test prep class at one of those learning centers?

Here's the background:
My son is in the 1st grade. Last year we moved into a new school district chosen specifically because they have a very good gifted program. It offers so much more that most districts in our State (Illinois). In fact, many districts in my area have either scaled back or cut the gifted program altogether. For that reason, it's competitive -- kids have to score very high on the testing to get in. (i.e. in other districts the child might need to be in top 5 - 10%, but in ours it would be top 1 - 2%)

As with many gifted kids, my kiddo is not learning very much in school. He's young so the boredom factor hasn't kicking too much into high gear yet, but already I'm seeing behavior problems and academic underachievement. In fact, his report card shows average scores on skills he mastered 2 years ago. He races through things because of what I call the been-there-done-that-so-it-doesn't-interest-me factor.

I wasn't worried too much about the MAP testing before. I assumed his teachers would automatically see that he's gifted. But seeing how's he's coasting in his classes I'm suddenly a little concerned.
In the years ahead I think my son will engage in school if he's appropriately challenged, but checkout if he's not. I want to make sure he's placed in the program for his own happiness more than anything.

Given his recent academic underachievement (which is still above grade level), the MAP testing is suddenly important. Does anyone have any thoughts on it or recommendations?

Thanks,

Laura