Thanks Indigo! I knew you'd know wink

ConnectingDots, where we are kids have 3 years of Infants school, starting in the calendar year they turn 3. If your kid's birthday is in January, they will be 3.5 when they start Infants, if your kid's birthday is in December, they will be 2.5 when they start. Very slowly through Infants they learn the alphabet, phonics, numbers up to 20, basic colours, shapes, etc., so that they're ready for primary school. Then primary school (when the they start doing academic stuff) starts in the year that the kids turn 6, so January kids will be 6.5, and December kids will be 5.5.

It's not a bad system I think. There are extra curricular classes too, if you want them, so we have DD enrolled in an elective science class where they do fun experiments once a week. And extra sports. Plus she does drama outside of school. She's happy, life's interesting. She's having fun being a kid. This is where my dilemma is.

Dude, I don't think there's really a downside to acceleration, except that she might miss out on an extra year of play (on top of the year she's just started). But at this point I'm wondering if she really needs 2 more years of play-based stuff, if one would be enough. I don't want to rush her to grow up, and play is great for kids, but 6.5 is late for starting 'proper' school.

Portia, I'll chat with the school and find out our options. Hopefully we have some! smile

Last edited by LazyMum; 10/18/17 11:38 PM.