Hey folks,

Forgive me for this one. I went back about 10 pages and couldn't see a topic, and the search function doesn't let me search for posts older than a year.

I'm guessing there must be multiple threads on this somewhere. Somewhere further back than 10 pages.

My question is less about intelligence/emotional maturity and more about the benefits of an extra year of play.

DD4 is the oldest in her class, and smart to boot. She would have no issues fitting in with the year above her. She's very social and really great at fitting in. In the playground she'll always search out older kids first, but if there are none around she'll still enjoy playing with kids her own age. So, socially I think she'd be fine in either class.

If she stays in her current class she'll have another year of play-based curriculum next school year, and won't start anything academic until the following school year (i.e. September 2019, when she'll be 6.5). Whereas if we advocate for her to be skipped up at the beginning of the next school year she would start academic stuff next year (i.e. September 2018, aged 5.5).

I don't think she'd necessarily get bored/frustrated if we waited until she was 6.5 to start academics at school, because she likes playing with her friends, and they do sports, music, etc., but ... geeez, 6.5 seems a loooong way off.

So, what I'm trying to say is, is this a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it? Or should I talk to the school? Or something else?

Thanks in advance smile