Thanks for the feedback, aeh. We got this same feedback from the doctor. I still need hard skills to practice in this area with him. We are working on it. Getting stuck, not being able to switch. Those are exactly the words she used in the post-test meeting with us.

Do you know of any particular strategies we could try to learn? We play board games, and I notice that even when his strategy is failing, once he gets his mind set on something, he'll follow the idea to his death.

A great example is in Monopoly. He will decide ahead of his first roll that he wants the green and yellow properties. Even if he lands on red, and others have picked up green and yellow ahead of him, he has a very hard time switching to a new strategy. He wants to pay off (buy) the players with the cards he wants, rather than going for a different series (red).

In math, he will decide how to do a problem and pursue it even after it is clear the answer is only directionally correct, and will not yield the absolutely correct answer. Then, he will guess. I'm working on his specifically with this issue in math but it's in every aspect of his thinking / personality. I try not to stomp this trait out too much, because in many ways, his approach to math is very good. He can easily eliminate answers that are incorrect in multiple choice, and often chooses the path of least resistance, which shows he has great number sense. I don't want to kill that.

Boys age 7&9 grades 2&4.
SW Washington State (near Portland, OR)