Originally Posted by Dude
This is not an entry-level position. The focus is on experience and "team fit" (hence the involvement of team members). I can tell you that the resumes that have passed through the HR and hiring manager filters to end up in my inbox have educational backgrounds running the gamut from a doctorate to no degree at all. It has never been mentioned in any of our conversations about individual candidates. Clearly, nobody cares about college.

Only if we were hiring for an entry-level position would we be interested in which college someone attended, and that would be as a tie-breaker for otherwise good candidates, because if you don't have any experience, education matters.

But high school kids looking at colleges are going to be entry-level with no experience, where you note that education does matter. And that's who rankings are typically aimed at.

No one will hire me today, 20+ years later, for my top-10 BS in Engineering. But it certainly helped when it was applicable. And there are certainly valid studies that correlate school "rankings" with various measures of "success". (and as there's no definitive measure of "success", anyone can just choose to denigrate ignore the data. But it's the same as those who say IQ isn't defined, so it doesn't mean anything.)

Generic statements about "flaws in their methodologies" is gossip rag material laugh

Rankings are a data point. I looked at about a dozen of them, mostly looking at the why/what went into the rankings to understand what was good/bad about each school. This specific ranking would only be useful with a published ranking methodology. But as it seems to be an aggregate of existing data, additional value added is unknown)

DD18 is a freshman at school #2, but my usually-top-8 alma mater is out of the top 15, so I have no skin in the game for this particular one. Other to say it is quite different than most.