Hi all,

I'm new to the board (stumbled across it on Google) and I was hoping you'd have some insight...

The State of Ohio only recognizes certain standardized tests for gifted identification, including Cogat, MAP, and the Stanford Achievement Test. In order to qualify as "gifted" per the state of Ohio, the child must score in the 95th percentile (or above) on one of the approved tests. My 9 year old scored in the 94th percentile on the MAP test (with a SEM that went up to the 97th percentile, but that's a statistics topic for another thread, involving how even the testing company states that any placement of a child into a program based on the MAP test should take the SEM into consideration...). Anyway, I digress. Our school district will not accept children into the 4th or 5th grade STEM program unless they are "gifted" per the state of Ohio, so the child must score in the 95th percentile. Since she was only 1 point (not just 1 percentage point...1 point) from the 95th percentile, they recommended that she take one of the other approved tests for gifted ID, and they are going to give her the Stanford Achievement Test. I was going to just let her take the MAP or another test during the year this year with the rest of her grade (per their testing schedule) and maybe she would qualify for next year, but I found out that this year, the 4th grade is only going to take state standardized tests, which ironically, the State of Ohio does not recognize for gifted ID (my daughter had a perfect score on those). So if she wants to even have a chance to qualify for STEM for next year, she has to take the extra test. Don't even get me started on my opinions about only using standardized tests for qualification into a STEM program (I know a number of children who would benefit greatly from the program and are likely twice exceptional, but do not score well on the standardized tests they have been administered...I suspect they need the chance to take different tests).

Anyway, in the meantime, my 6 year old (she's in 1st grade) reads well ahead of her peers, is super inquisitive, and I suspect she may be gifted. She has also been referred for testing and they are also recommending the Stanford Achievement Test for her (the kindergarten/1st grade version).

My question is: Has anyone on here had a child who qualified as gifted based on the Stanford Achievement Test? I've done exhaustive Google searches, but haven't turned up much, other than the fact that Ohio recognizes it as an approved test for gifted ID. I'm worried that it's the type of test where my 6 year old will go in there and get a perfect score, but then they'll say she's still only at the 80th percentile.

I'm not a huge fan of having my kids take extra tests, so I want to know as much as possible about the scoring before we go into it.

Thanks!