We attended the NUMATS ceremony a few years ago but did not have to travel quite as far. There were, however, several families from quite a distance, including a large contingent from Ohio! There must be a strong coordinator there, encouraging and arranging the trip. Anyway, it can be a fun part of a weekend in Chicago. We saw Numats families in the neighborhoods around the campus in Evanston having lunch, walking, and on the campus too. The campus has some great photo op sites, under arches and overlooking the lake.

If you are spending the weekend, consider visiting the amazing Baha'i House of Worship just minutes north on Sheridan Road; it is outstandingly beautiful and the only such House of Worship in North America. (I see that portions of the Welcome center will be closed the afternoon of September 16; I don't know when the NUMATS ceremony is).

And of course Chicago has much to offer. Check out Millenium Park, and Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier, they sometimes have shows for young audiences.

Last edited by NotherBen; 08/19/17 09:10 PM. Reason: Clarification