Our experiences are similar to yours, amylou. It must be the Twin Syndrome! I totally agree that it is prudent not to take other parents' opinions as gospel and be open-minded and make an informed first-hand decision. Of course it is always helpful to consider a range of input from others, but ultimately each kid/family/school/extracurricular combo may yield a different outcome.

I have a pair of boy/girl twins who are incoming freshmen with nine years of public school experience. They are both in the DYS program although I don't use the PG label. I think it is important to point out that short of excellent private tutors for each subject, you likely won't get a consistent good fit; however, you may get a good enough fit that may well be the "best" available option.

Some factors that has helped in our situation include GT programming, magnet programming, single subject accelerations, stronger than statistically predicted cohorts, large schools, highly rated schools, early (dual) college admission program, great extracurricular opportunities, online supplements, educated parents, auto-didactic kids, and competitions/contests.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/31/17 10:46 AM.