Hi,
I am new to the forum. My son is going to start 2nd grade this summer and I feel very uncertain as to how to properly advocate for him in his school. He is extremely bright and is also a very driven child, excelling in just about anything he picks up. His MAP score in spring was 259 for math and 215 for reading. So far he did struggle with boredom and even started refusing to do some tasks that were too trivial and repetitive. Right now the only thing that the school is addressing is his social development, as he did have ocasional meltdowns and showed anger and frustration when he felt "trapped" and forced to do a task that "made no sense" to him. I am not sure what I can ask for, as I am aware he is very different from most kids in his age group, and the school can't do much with a child like that. However, any kind of accommodation would probably help, as opposed to just needing to "fit in" in his class. If anyone has a similar situation and/or helpful suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!