Sufferers of Allodoxaphobia, beware! wink

Originally Posted by ChasingTwo
I actually don't think there really is such a thing as a typically gifted person, although I do believe a large portion of the public thinks there is.
With promo materials making statements such as "Who Gets to Be Gifted in America and Why?", it appears that the makers of this documentary hold a view that there is a 'typically gifted person.'

Originally Posted by ChasingTwo
there is definitely room for this discussion
On gifted forums and IRL, there is frequent comparison between athletics and intellect/academics, and also frequent reference to varsity teams and/or Olympians as analogies to gifted (each being at the top of their respective discipline or talent area). Therefore I will follow that precedent and flow between the gifted context and the sports context in this post.

Would you find it enlightening to have a documentary ostensibly about the pinnacle of sports... which changed its focus to featuring/emphasizing:
- prison population?
- race, gender, class and sexual identity?

Some might say that naming such a documentary about sports would be gratuitous... misleading... a weak tie-in... simply used to market the documentary. Additionally, this may be seen as a disservice to the sports/athletic community by focusing on a niche... giving a distorted, unproportional, unrepresentative, or divided view of the sports/athletic community.

In looking at the most recent promo materials provided by "The G word", it is possible that the focus on giftedness has become tangential at best... that a title referencing gifted may be gratuitous... a marketing strategy.

Ironically, in changing its focus, "The G word" may, in essence, be marginalizing the gifted... or, as it may say... "those who get to be gifted."