What do these books have in common?
1) Bright, Talented, and Black by Joy Lawson Davis, Ed.D. (2010) Great Potential Press
2) Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon (2013)
3) Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined by Scott Barry Kaufman (2013)
4) Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind by Scott Barry Kaufman (2015)
Their authors are participating in an upcoming documentary, "The G Word."
The work-in-progress website from a year ago states: "THE G WORD explores what giftedness and learning look like through a mosaic of personal, intimate stories of children, adults, and elders. The film’s narrative arc is an examination of the gifted through all stages of life, from childhood through old age, documenting their search for acceptance, connection, and authentic success, which belie popular misconceptions about what it means to be “gifted.” Interwoven with historical context and expert insight into the challenges related to high intelligence, THE G WORD sheds light on this largely hidden but emerging special-needs population."

Based on the above description and accompanying 6-minute vimeo video (titled "1st Promo"), which I first posted notice of in Dec 2016, I was really looking forward to seeing the project reach fruition.

In a promotional e-mail update (recently forwarded by a friend), I was disappointed to find the project's subject line and link titled "Who Gets to Be Gifted in America and Why?" IMO, this approach promotes myths and stereotypes about giftedness as a brass ring, and is quite different than the description on the work-in-progress website from last year. Possibly this project has changed its focus? The recent e-mail update describes: contemplating "issues of race, gender, class and sexual identity, especially in relationship to gifted education, the IQ and 21st century ideas around what constitutes intelligence." The accompanying 12-minute vimeo video (titled "Meet the Experts | Who Gets to Be Gifted in America and Why?") takes an approach which appears to divide the gifted population, rather than uniting it.

This viewpoint was posted on GHF January 18, 2017:
Originally Posted by words from friends
Over time, the title began to stick, with the “G” acting as a kind of container for all kinds of diverse voices that the broader public might not expect to encounter in a film about giftedness. To be sure, this film will not look and feel like every other documentary on education. I am aiming for a more poetic, immersive, and visual offering, one that forefronts emotion over information...