Originally Posted by Merlin
So really, I'm asking once an IQ reaches a certain level, for example >130, then are all kids capable of achieving the same great results given the same opportunities or would their mental IQ limit their learning ability?

In my area, there are tons of high achieving students - there are constant newspaper reports of kids maxing SAT scores, winning Science fairs, winning national math competitions, selling startups for millions, making remarkable inventions, playing their music multiple times at Carnegie hall, getting accepted to multiple Ivies etc. Given the sheer number of such reports and the sheer number of tutoring and mentoring opportunities in my area, I have come to the unscientific conclusion that kids who have an IQ higher than a certain cutoff will excel if they are given excellent opportunities to learn. And my unscientific cutoff is an Iq level of 135 and above. Please don't ask me for proof smile This is my unscientific report based on what I have observed. Take it with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Anecdotally, I have seen nurture trump over nature - a young person dear to me had severe auditory processing disorder and a lot of weaknesses in his early IQ test scores were attributed to it. This person's mother who is a music teacher taught him to play the violin and the piano starting at ages 3 and 4 respectively. He practiced every day of his life diligently. At age 16, now, he has no more APD (all the tuning and listening to tone and pitch has rewired his brain - neuroplasticity at work) and he also has high processing speed which is significantly higher than when he was tested before.