@marigold82076
My DD16 (skipped 2nd and 6th grades) is mere days away from making her college decision for next year and will graduate HS later this month.

I can't speak to the transition to college, as that hasn't happened yet. But I can talk a little about our college search. FYI - of the 14 schools applied to (we cast a wide net, wider probably than needed, but we're worriers), all but one are private schools, and the majority of them would be considered small to medium sized.

The one public school (and our safety school as admission was guaranteed), the University of Iowa, has the Bucksbaum Early Entrance Academy - after inquiring (their descriptions all talk about leaving HS early and our DD will be completing 4 years of HS and fully graduating), they determined our daughter did meet their criteria for early entrance and offered her admission into their program. I bring this up as there are multiple early entrance options out there and other programs may also agree that early entrance can still allow for completing HS.

As to the private schools (13 total), no one came out and said age was an issue, and for the majority of them I doubt if age came into play. Certainly the 6 acceptances had no issue with her age. Perhaps the 5 rejections were due to age, but they were also schools that fell solidly into the reach bucket (DD's scores were fine, but for Ivy/near-Ivy even excellent kids are reaches). The final 3 were waitlists - one very much a reach and the other two are schools that routinely reject/WL kids with great stats as they hate being safeties for those kids, and those were two of the schools DD demonstrated the least interest in.

All-in-all, I don't feel age held her back in the application process, or at least it didn't seem to at the majority of schools she applied to. For one of her acceptances, I think age may have actually helped her. This is a small, highly selective school, who openly says they craft their classes to have a lot of diversity, and I think my DD's age helped make her a unique addition.

And, by the way, I wholeheartedly disagree with Val. My DD not only is doing fine twice skipped, but is thriving. Most of her HS teachers don't know she's been skipped and most of her classmates don't care.

Best of luck,
--S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.