So indigo, what did you think? By the way, I'm not going to include the spoiler code in this post as you already wrote spoilers in the subject line but if you think I should let me know and I will revise this post.

Anyway I had some interesting discussions with my kids about it... I found it interesting that they included a scene where she felt that her classmate's diorama was better than hers (so not gifted at everything) and her reaction was pretty right on (overreaction?) when it came to fairness.

I also liked that they included that neither the uncle or the grandmother had the right idea in how to educate Mary (they were both too far to one side or the other), but in the end the compromise looked promising as being a pretty good solution- even if it was a simplified one.

I also explained to my kids that even though Mary was obviously profoundly gifted in math, someone still taught her strategies in math (and she read books on math) so she didn't learn advanced math in a vacuum. But she was obviously interested in math, and her mother as well as her grandmother was too so genetics played a role.

What did you think? I was actually a bit worried that it would be too cliche and give my kids the wrong message, but I think it actually did a good job at the story it was trying to tell. Mary was still very much a kid. A gifted kid who really really liked advanced math but also needed to have friendships with kids her own age. And ironically, I've found a ton of gifted kids in the boy and girl scouts. Where I live it is almost like a magnet for them.. wink

Last edited by LAF; 04/24/17 08:46 PM.