DS was due for new testing before his recent IEP meeting, and since I've been reading here a lot lately regarding DD I've come across comments about interpretations of scores that have peaked my curiousity. DS is unusual because he was chronically ill with declining health for most of his childhood, but it wasn't until he was healthy again we began to notice changes that we tracked back to hypoxic brain injury during his treatment. So, I realize that's not the usual population discussed here, but everyone seems to know quite a bit about interpretation of scores, so it seems worth throwing out my questions. I'm trying to be vague because his diagnosis and situation is particularly unique so I hope my questions are clear enough!

What is considered an unusual "gap" in scores? Is the interpretation of scores of a child with brain injury or disabilities the same process and interpretation as any child? Is it unusual for a child to have 30-40 point gaps between scores but for the tester to say there isn't anything to indicate this is an abnormal spread? Even though he has been diagnosed and he has dysgraphia and other clear impairments in school, and there are clear indications of his diagnosis in his OT and speech tests, there isn't any mention of any areas of concern in his IQ tests. Some of the scores have always seemed unusually high in comparison to how poorly he functions in the classroom, and other scores seem low considering his recall is excellent (although it's true his exective functioning is low). I've always thought it was strange that none of his deficits are ever interpreted in the testing, because I would think they must be reflected there, and that there are never any comments about it. I would just assume that the data itself is the reflection of his strengths/deficits, except that the testor specifically writes that there aren't any red flags.

I just read that certain tests are better for ADHD, so are there tests that are more accurate or give better information for certain children or circumstances?