You know, to madeinuk's point, it's possible that some families are just further in the process than yours is, which is why they've already received acceptance letters. The letter you received didn't say he was out or waitlisted. Actually, it said all was well, and he was moving on to the next level of the process. He passed screening, and they want to do more precise testing. Sounds quite positive to me.

BTW, did DC say he really saw 1 or 0, or did he infer a lot of 0s from the action of the pencil? Because on many, if not most, tests, what you actually do to mark a score is circle a preprinted point value, so if you just watched the examiner's hand, but not the paper, it could look like a lot of zeroes. Still shouldn't have been visible to him, of course, but it's easier to see how the examiner wouldn't have realized that, since one might think that because the child could not see the mark that they would not be affected by the action of scoring. I will say, though, that at our #1's kindergarten screening, the teacher did actually have the whole protocol exposed, which I know because I found pretend play from DC later that week which had carefully written 'test' questions on it, each with a space to note the student response, and then a 0 and a 1 next to it. 1s circled for correct answers, and 0s for incorrect ones. A lot of stuffed animals were screened for school that year, apparently....

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...