Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Jai Gifted status "undecided" at DS' public school - 04/11/17 04:14 PM
Yesterday, I received notification from the school that the status of DS' gifted eligibility is "undecided." He "passed screening and requires further IQ testing by the school psychometrist to determine whether he/she is eligible for gifted services." I will receive a letter of final determination by September 1.

DS is in second grade. In February, he was pulled out with about half his class to be tested. I think they used the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking. A score of 97%+ allows automatic entrance into the G/T program in this state. A few weeks later, DS told me that the gifted teacher pulled him out alone. I don't know what test he was given, but he says that he was asked to repeat a series of numbers backwards and she asked him to define "xxxeditedoutxxx." He didn't remember anything else but he says she asked a lot of questions. By his estimate (he missed the math lesson) he was gone about 40 minutes. He also says he didn't think that he did well because she was writing a "0" or "1" when he answered each question and she wrote down mostly "0".

Anyway, I'm just looking for others' thought. I tend to over think things, and September 1 seems a long time to be in limbo. Any BTDT? Do you think he will be given an additional test or are they waiting the results from the individual test? [When I requested that he be screened, I submitted two of the rubrics I had from the courses he recently took at the gifted program at a university (which is in a different state). I didn't submit the original test results (done at the university) because they are almost 4 years old]. School starts here at the beginning of August, so would they wait until the beginning of 3rd grade to test/gather additional information?
You may wish to write a letter to the school (e-mail will do).
- Addressed and distributed to all names/titles on the letter and on previous correspondence regarding gifted testing.
- Acknowledging the letter which you received.
- Asking for copies of all test results. (Search for FERPA online or read a parent-friendly summary here, at wrightslaw.)

You may also wish to begin a binder of advocacy documentation at home, gathering pertinent information including correspondence with the school, notes taken during any phone calls or in-person meetings, test results, work samples, letters of recommendation, your child's detailed description of the testing process, print-outs of the school policies (often found in the school's website) and your current State Laws regarding education.

Like you, I also would not have offered the prior test results. I think the school may choose to dismiss them (as IQ scores tend to stabilize around 8 years old).
You might want to edit out the specific word he was asked to define, as it may expose a question for an IQ test. The set of questions he was asked sounds like it may have been one of the IQ tests, but I can't tell which one on the basis of the information offered. (aeh may know on the basis of the specific test item mentioned - if you do edit it out, you might want to also PM her if she hasn't weighed in yet.)

If it was an IQ test, the tester is really not supposed to write down the results of each question in sight of the testee for obvious reasons. I might complain about that. I don't think it necessarily invalidates the test, but I wouldn't like it. I would also request that they tell you what test they gave him, as you need to know what assessments he has already had if you do any further testing privately.
In addition to the above, the obvious question to ask is why the determination is going to take so long - what additional information needs to be collected, what process needs to be followed, what the bottleneck is, etc. I think that the time lag is the bigger question right now. It certainly doesn't take that long to score/get results from any test that I'm aware of.

Unless the external rubrics you mentioned were actual, well-known broadly accepted IQ tests, I doubt they will have much weight. Nor is a test 4 years old likely to have much influence.

We weren't in the situation in terms of a delay, but our school did seem to go out of their way to find the one result of the 4-5 different tests to keep DD6 out of the gifted program. We had to pay for an independent SB5 test which got her admitted. As she's now DYS/SET/etc, I've provided feedback that their screening process might need to be tuned a bit.

Thank you all for your responses. I edited out the word that my son mentioned he was asked to define on the test.

ElizabethN, I didn't like that DS could see what was being written either. He can sometimes have test anxiety and from the way he described his experience, I could tell he was probably very nervous.

September 1st Is the deadline given by our state department. According to my letter, "Referrals resulting from 2nd Grade Child Find must be processed, eligibility determined, and students placed n time to begin 3rd grade pull-out by the September 1 deadline."

I don't know if it will necessarily take that long. When I asked that he be screened in February, I was told that I would get "notification of the results by the end of the school year." This was in the email that I received from the GT teacher.

Thank you, indigo and Cranberry, for the idea of my sending an email acknowledging that I received the letter and asking what additional information needs to be collected and copies of all tests results.

I am keeping all my correspondence (which thus far has been through email and letters sent home). I will start an advocacy binder so that I will have everything in one location.

Also, the rubrics I mentioned are just used as performance evaluations at the university's gifted program. I included them with the "Notification and Consent for Gifted Screening" that I had to complete and return because it asked that we "list any activities your child is involved in...or any other information that you think should be considered."
Originally Posted by Jai
According to my letter, "Referrals resulting from 2nd Grade Child Find must be processed, eligibility determined, and students placed n time to begin 3rd grade pull-out by the September 1 deadline."
Child Find refers to special education services. Might there be a reason to suspect any learning disability (LD)? Alongside giftedness, this would give your child a "twice exceptional" or 2e label.

Resources for 2e include:
- 2e newsletter,
- Understood.org (focuses on the LD)
- wrightslaw.com (focuses on disability and special education law)
Actually, in some states, GT is serviced under special education law, and thus has some of the same due process requirements.
Originally Posted by aeh
Actually, in some states, GT is serviced under special education law, and thus has some of the same due process requirements.

Yes, gifted education falls under special education services in my state (AL).
I think that legally (federal) you have the right to know every test administered to your child and the results of each - I forget the name of the law at the moment.

Also, before you lose further sleep over this do you know that the letter that you received wasn't a stock letter sent to the parents of all GT program participants?
Originally Posted by madeinuk
Also, before you lose further sleep over this do you know that the letter that you received wasn't a stock letter sent to the parents of all GT program participants?

I know that at least one child in the class received a letter stating he/she was accepted into the program.
You know, to madeinuk's point, it's possible that some families are just further in the process than yours is, which is why they've already received acceptance letters. The letter you received didn't say he was out or waitlisted. Actually, it said all was well, and he was moving on to the next level of the process. He passed screening, and they want to do more precise testing. Sounds quite positive to me.

BTW, did DC say he really saw 1 or 0, or did he infer a lot of 0s from the action of the pencil? Because on many, if not most, tests, what you actually do to mark a score is circle a preprinted point value, so if you just watched the examiner's hand, but not the paper, it could look like a lot of zeroes. Still shouldn't have been visible to him, of course, but it's easier to see how the examiner wouldn't have realized that, since one might think that because the child could not see the mark that they would not be affected by the action of scoring. I will say, though, that at our #1's kindergarten screening, the teacher did actually have the whole protocol exposed, which I know because I found pretend play from DC later that week which had carefully written 'test' questions on it, each with a space to note the student response, and then a 0 and a 1 next to it. 1s circled for correct answers, and 0s for incorrect ones. A lot of stuffed animals were screened for school that year, apparently....
Originally Posted by madeinuk
I think that legally (federal) you have the right to know every test administered to your child and the results of each - I forget the name of the law at the moment.
Are you possibly thinking of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?
Thank you for your feedback. It has been very helpful. After much thought and discussion with DS' teacher, my belief is leaning towards what aeh has said. DS is has passed the initial screening and is still being considered, and some families have completed the process. I am not surprised that DS didn't make a qualifying score on the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking and needs further testing. I think part of the delay is having the school system's psychometrist come to test DS. I know the person isn't located in the school, and I have no idea how/when he/she works. I'll just be patient and see what happens.
I just wanted to give an update. DS did not meet the requirements to be determined eligible for gifted services. According to the letter, "Data was considered from a variety of sources in the areas of aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators."

I do not plan on fighting their decision. However, would it be appropriate to ask for test scores and/or a copy of the "Matrix for Screening/Eligibilty Determination"? If so, how should I word this request?

Do you know the qualifying criteria for eligibility for gifted services at your child's school?
Is the criteria published on your school or district website?
Could you print a copy of the current criteria and/or process description, and place it in a ring binder with the letters you have received to date?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = The following is a brief roundup of FERPA links. I will call it a FERPA tutorial.

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides for parents to have access to their minor children's education records.

Based on the FERPA information online here, a school needs to "show" the records to a parent, not necessarily provide a copy.

Based on FERPA information online, education records are defined as
those records that:
1) contain information directly related to a student; and
2) are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
The electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR), Title 34 Education, Part 99 Family Educational Rights and Privacy, current as of May 23, 2017 provides definitions. NOTE: It is wise to check sources frequently for any changes.

According to the FERPA FAQ page, for parents and eligible students, inspection and review of education records:
FERPA requires that educational agencies and institutions comply with a request by a parent or eligible student for access to education records within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after receipt of a request. Some States have laws that may require that parents and eligible students be granted access in a shorter time period. 34 CFR § 99.10(b).

FERPA requires that an educational agency or institution respond to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of education records. 34 CFR § 99.10(c).
FERPA may not apply to some schools:
Originally Posted by FERPA for parents PDF, 2011
FERPA applies to educational agencies and institutions (e.g., schools) that receive funding under any program administered by the Department. Private and parochial schools at the elementary and secondary levels generally do not receive such funding and are, therefore, not subject to FERPA.
FERPA requires an annual notice to parents; This Model Notice is provided.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = End of FERPA Tutorial. smile

After reading and processing the information above, you may wish to find your school's annual FERPA notice. You may wish to refer to that notice and/or quote it in your request. You may wish to incorporate language from your local school's gifted program eligibility requirements into your request. You may wish to make a rather broad request for all educational records, tests, evaluations, assessments, observations, and any other*, regarding his aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators, which may have been used in determining his eligibility for gifted services.

*Note: and any other is a standard catch-all phrase often used when requesting records.

Proceed with caution. Advocacy is best approached with tender loving care.

Use plain unemotional language.

Sample Request (do not copy this exactly):

MM/DD/YY

The purpose of this e-mail is to request all educational records, tests, evaluations, assessments, observations, and any other, regarding aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators, which may have been used in determining the eligibility of my child, Abbb Cddddd for gifted services, as mentioned in the letter I received dated MM/DD/YY.

It is my understanding that FERPA requires a response within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after receipt of a request.

Thank you for your time.

The district may respond that your letter determining his ineligibility suffices. To which you may wish to reply with the FEPRA definition of records.

The district may also ignore your request altogether, in which case you may wish to send it again with a gentle reminder that it has been 46 days...

If you choose to escalate, you may wish to check with your State department of education... and with FERPA compliance.

Take advocacy in baby steps, and, like a chess game, plan what your next moves might be. Conduct your advocacy like a negotiation, not a battle.
Thank you, indigo. Your response is very helpful. I was able to draft an email from your information. I will definitely proceed with caution. I've already learned that that advocating for DS is like playing a gigantic game of chess. Our school and community is relatively small, and I have a good relationship with the principal and staff. I don't plan to burn any bridges. I just want a copy of the evaluations, assessments, etc for my own records.
In my district, your request would not raise any eyebrows at all. I routinely meet with parents whose children were not placed in our gifted program. At that meeting, they're given a copy of the matrix we use and it's my job to answer any and all questions parents have regarding that information. At that meeting I also explain options going forward - how the gifted nomination process works (teachers and parents can nominate at any time).
Originally Posted by Jai
I do not plan on fighting their decision. However, would it be appropriate to ask for test scores and/or a copy of the "Matrix for Screening/Eligibilty Determination"? If so, how should I word this request?
In my district, a parent just has to make a request at the front office of the school and they will provide a copy of all the test scores that are valid for that academic year. This is normal because many parents want a copy for their own records, to transfer to a different school district or to a private school, to enter their child into exclusive programs that require minimum test scores etc. So, just go ahead and request the scores. There is no necessity to give reasons for the request.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum