I got a NMS back in the late 80s from our state flagship university and got an excellent education in their honors program. Of course, our state flagship no longer offers any merit aid (AT ALL) because of the ferocity of competition just for admission now.

My 2e DS16 is an indifferent student anyway but even if he were competitive, I doubt we would enter the college admissions arms race. An undergraduate degree from an Ivy has a certain cachet but not $250,000 worth. Yikes!

I have heard that few, if any, students pay "sticker" at selective schools, but be that as it may, I think a student's terminal degree matters most. A good education at a public university with good grades and experiences will serve most students who plan on pursuing additional degrees very well and be priced right(outside of California anyway.)

I foresee a possible stint, maybe one year, at our good local CC to allow DS16 to find his feet before he goes to university based on his current study habits. CC is still dirt cheap.