Originally Posted by DianaG
That will depend entirely on the international school. You'll need to look closely at how the curriculum aligns with the curriculum at your current school.

The international school I'm familiar with is very reluctant to allow accelerations, and indeed many people compare the curriculum to their home curriculum and decide to move the child down a year.

FWIW, this international school is exceptional for gifted children, as the small class sizes and general high level of curriculum allow for significantly better in-class differentiation than average. My K'er gets second grade math in class with the top table and his reading books in class are third grade level with one other top student in the year. This is standard; we needed no advocacy to get this setup.

My kids are both middle schoolers - if they were moved down a grade it would be horrific! I don't think that will happen though based on the school conversations, and the fact that they have viewed the girls' report cards.

The school does follow the US model and advertises itself as a college prep school. Reviews state if one's child is "average", he or she might struggle. It is also a very small school. I have my fingers crossed that it will be like the school you discuss - able to differentiate. The school does a language and math assessment before school begins to determine the correct level for each child (many kids are not native English speakers so the school has to figure out how to work with them). I am hoping the teachers can accommodate younger DD who is dying on the vine in science and social studies - these are her favorite classes yet the ones the current school does not offer differentiation. She has been whole grade accelerated one year and 2 more years in math.

By the way - how does one show a teacher that a student needs "more" in science and social studies? DD's ITBS which showed she was years ahead in science is now 2 years old, and the SAT doesn't address those topics. Most teachers seem not to understand IQ scores. I might do another post about this.

Oh boy, I am excited about the move yet absolutely terrified. We tell the kids this week. That alone fills me with fear. Lots of tears ahead.