Update:

I heard back from the district after quite a bit of silence and they wanted to get started right away on evaluations. We started today in his school and tomorrow we go in for I guess formal evaluations at the district. I am not actually at all sure what all they are evaluating for, so hopefully I will find out more tomorrow. I am very happy with how quickly things have gone since we fell on their radar. The people I have spoken to so far have also been very friendly and the counselor at our private school says we are in an excellent district for special ed. All good!

I had actually posted in another thread earlier in the month wondering if I should even go through with this due to finally getting those MAP results back and finding out that DS scored in the 99th %ile on the reading portion. His lexile is listed at 627-777. I do not feel that he is actually reading at that level though. I was expecting him to do above average but I was very surprised he tested more at a third grade (I think?) level. I guess the eval won't hurt, but I'm feeling really silly about having concerns now, especially since the writing and language section was his highest scoring category :P

I do wonder if his score would be as good if he were to take the 2-5 version of the test. In math he took to primary in summer and then switched to the 2-5 and dropped from 237 to 217, but climbed back up to 230 this winter. If he were to drop a few points on the reading section it would make a much bigger difference because he only got a 207.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for their help and let you all know that we are getting our district eval and so far things are looking good with it. And I'm also feeling a bit ridiculous at this point with the 99th %ile score on what I thought was a weak area. OTOH maybe the district will test fluency, which is my biggest area of concern right now, along with written expression. I will update again at the end of this process to let you guys know if we figure anything out. Thanks!