Originally Posted by Platypus101
The best diagnostic tool I think we have is - is she happy? Stress, resistance, or something that she can do but just feels way *harder* than it should for this child at this age - these are all big red flags that some barrier is in the way of the child doing what we are asking her to do. If you see any of those, investigating that barrier sooner is better than later.

ITA with Platypus re the above. I'd also add that it's really tough to know if the discrepancy between working memory and other subtest scores that was present at 4 is real or perhaps a sign that your then-4-year-old was tired during those subtests or wasn't engaged etc. Were there any notes from that testing that indicated whether or not the tester thought there was a contributing factor to the dip in scores?

The other thing to keep in mind - sometimes kids with LDs *look* like they are showing signs of ADHD. As mentioned above, ADHD is a diagnosis of exclusion - other factors that can contribute to the symptoms should be ruled out first. The dip in working memory (if it's real) could be due to other issues - which might, in turn, be what's behind the "spacing out".

All of which leads back to.. if you're seeing issues in school, if your child is frustrated etc... I'd check it out. If things are going well, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. As the parent of a 2e child who wasn't diagnosed until 3rd grade, however, I'd add that if you have any hints (from either your dd or your dd's teacher or your own gut feeling) that there's an issue, look into it. It's very easy to put off early signs of LDs etc to thinking a highly gifted child is bored or under challenged or disinterested or a perfectionist etc. All that might be true, and one of those reasons might be the only thing that's up, but testing doesn't hurt and it might reveal that there's something more going on. We missed the early signs in our ds, thought he was just an under-challenged perfectionist, and as a result of that also tended to put off concerns from his teacher. He was bored, he sometimes is a perfectionist, but he also had a very real challenge, and I would give anything to have found out earlier, as going through those first years of school undiagnosed ultimately took a huge toll on his self-esteem.

Best wishes,

polarbear