We did a classroom change for my oldest when she was in 5th grade at this exact same point in the school year (mid-January). Her school only had two classes per grade so a small, tight-knit school where most of the kids have been in school together since kindergarten.

The situation with my daughter is that her teacher was verbally abusive, especially to the kids with LDs. The teacher was bad from day one and I also told my dd that she will not always like those she has to work with (school, and later a job). Eventually it got to the point where I was noticing red flags and this teacher apparently had been an issue for many years. When one mother tried to tell the school they didn't believe her that some of things were happening, which really irritated me, and I felt at this point his behavior was affecting my dds ability to learn. So I pretty much went in there as mama bear and flat out told them what I thought, I didn't even have to get to the point of requesting my dd be moved. The principal immediately moved my dd and the other girl of the mom who complained. Kids were interviewed, even from previous years, and they pretty much corroborated dds version of things that were happening.

When they moved my dd and the girl to the other classroom the teacher just told the class that the girls didn't really want to talk about the change so please don't ask. Nobody asked, in fact her classmates/friends told my dd they figured it was because of the teacher. The transition went smoothly and dd ended up having a wonderful rest of the year. Thankfully that teacher didn't return the next school year.

So my opinion is if you feel it is impacting learning or emotional well being I would consider moving her. I would also talk to your dd about the option of moving and see how she feels about it and do mention how others might be curious and ask her questions. It is important to learn to work with others, but it is also important to learn to advocate and stand up for yourself. I believe it is especially important for girls to grow up learning that it's ok to remedy a situation you don't like, you don't have to take it. If the teacher didn't seem so overwhelmed by everything and was capable of handling the situation then I would say try to stick it out but it doesn't seem that she will be much help.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 01/13/17 12:23 PM.