Ah. That is a rather large difference between the two subtests of the verbal cluster (2+ SDs), which suggests that the cluster score does not fully capture her ability. Her higher subtest score is +3 SDs (+3 SD at the cluster level would be 145--though it doesn't necessarily follow that that would be her true Verbal score), while the lower one is at the upper end of the average range. 145 would, however be pretty consistent with her achievement scores.

There are a number of different possible explanations both for this internal diversity, in verbal, and for the intercluster diversity, among verbal, nonverbal, and spatial. Which one is the "true" explanation is not something we can determine here, but I'll throw out some possibilities for you to try out:

1. attention: you already suspect ADHD.
2. language: yes, even with those high scores.

By language, I mean that there may be general challenges with language processing, specific differences in receptive versus expressive language, differences in retrieving vocabulary efficiently (hence, naming vocabulary), etc.

3. visual-perceptual differences--here I am thinking particularly of the globally lower (comparatively, of course; they are still age-appropriate) reduced-verbal scores, in spatial and fluid reasoning areas. Though they are not reflected in formal achievement scores, I wonder if they are a component in the classroom behavior, in terms of reaching for the more efficient mode (talking) when not keeping up on reading nonverbal cues. This tends to look to teachers like excessive chattiness and distractibility, or even talking back.

A corollary: if one has very high verbal ability, but generates written products only at (or even below) grade level, it is quite common for conventional grade-level instruction to be both too easy and too hard at the same time. Children do not always choose coping strategies for this that adults find acceptable, which adults then interpret as boredom, inattention, or noncompliance.

Last edited by aeh; 12/05/16 06:02 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...