I think the current educational trend is to encourage multi-media projects for all kids. My 8th graders have done quite a few videos for different classes throughout middle school. Sometimes videos are specifically assigned but more often the students have a choice among traditional essays, posterboards, videos, webpages, etc. There are still times when traditional essays are required for county/state minimum literacy standards accountability purposes so it is likely that your DD will have to write at least sometimes but it would be reasonable to request accommodations to minimize those times.

Making the school provide specific training on creating videos may be the trickier issue. They may not have anyone trained to do that plus there are so many software options on the different platforms. As far as I can tell, no technical instructions are provided to students in general. It is presumed they know how to operate their electronic devices (cell phones, tablets, video cameras) although kids do help each other. I suspect most kids are more savvy than their teachers on the technical stuff.