Hi everyone!

I'm new to this community. I have two daughters, ages 5 and 2. DD5 just finished testing as part of an application to a local school for gifted kids (Science and Arts Academy in the Chicago area). We haven't gotten the results back yet, but they had to extend testing by several hours because she kept maxing out sub-tests, so we're pretty sure she's even beyond what we expected. Someone recently mentioned feeling overwhelmed and a bit scared at really realizing that your kid really is HG or PG, and I'm definitely feeling that now!

I would love some advice from other parents on what to do with this kid on weekends and school breaks! She currently goes to a Montessori preschool, where she has done well, but frequently complains of being bored. She absolutely lit up at the IQ testing. She didn't want to leave when it was time to go and begged to go back. Last night told me nearly in tears that she's sad that she won't get to see "Steph" (the therapist who did the testing with her over two days) again.

She clearly craves the mental stimulation. She asks me to do "plus work" (I write out addition equations and she solves them) and math seems to be her favorite right now. Unfortunately, while she is reading basic words (up to four letters with non-irregular sounds), she can't read well enough to do a lot of activities on her own yet.

I try to do some things with her on weekends, but it's tough with a 2.5 year old, "spirited" toddler (probably also gifted, but boy is she a handful). ODD winds up coloring and then begs to watch TV, which makes her an uber grump for the rest of the day.

Any advice on how to keep her mind engaged on weekends and breaks?