We've tried to advocate for harder math for our MG 6 year old and basically hit a wall. It's another story, but for the sake of argument let's assume that he will not get more accommodations in math than what he's getting now.

We knew his frustration with the lack of challenging math at school was brewing and we'd been discussing it with him.

Last week we discovered a note he'd written to his school principal, placed inside the "hand in" folder for his classroom.

His dad found it and they had a talk about how to approach such a conversation and his dad told him to let us talk to the teachers. I have seen a lot of people talk about teaching the kids to advocate for themselves, though, and I wonder if he's old enough? He's almost 7 and even though he won't get any changes in his classroom he might benefit from standing up for himself.

Again a day later we found that during his playtime on the computer at home he had looked up how to write a respectful letter and had filled in a form letter on the computer again to his principal, and again in secret. (It's kind of awesome, proud of him!) wink Round 2 said something more polished.

So I was out of town but I got a chance to talk to him and he said he is happy with his afterschool math but "It's only once a week! I want it every day at school!"

But should we let him meet with the Principal? Even if it's going to go nowhere?

Last edited by _Angie_; 02/21/17 09:16 PM.