My son's high school used to be on block schedule 4 classes first semester and four second semester. In order to have Calculus the entire year....they signed up for AP calc AB for first semester and Calculus BC the second same teacher just gave them more time to cover the material. They took the BC exam.

They dropped the 4 block per semester schedule and went back to traditional 7 periods a day but the signing up for both calc classes stuck around. They have two hours of Calc in a row, are able to cover everything without summer work or excessive homework (they still have homework, just not hours). I would assume if someone was struggling the teacher could decide before the deadline to have that student take the AB test instead of the BC test.

My son is looking forward to it. He has the teacher this year for precalc and loves her. I met her at open house and loved her.

For right now our district has kept the traditional distinct classes (but the textbooks have integrated a bit more just not as much as CC classes). I am happy that my older son has made it through without an upheaval of confusion. My younger son might squeak through too....he is in Algebra I right now and might take Geometry this summer And Algebra II next Fall. So any changes would have to happen soon and I don't see it going through that fast.

Last edited by Cookie; 11/14/16 08:40 AM.