Great to hear from you Northern Ben. I'm glad things are looking up for your son & he's involved in the college process.

My S17 is deep in the college app process, but it's being held up a bit by the last two intense weeks of marching band. He has 8 schools picked out all large public schools, that involves 5 applications. Got one in last week EA, was supposed to do another by last night & didn't. But it's only EA, and he has another 2 months to submit the regular app. I think the stress got to him. He's been up long hours & there are been 4 huge band things going on the past 6 days.

But back to the question. What to do? Back when my D22 who just graduated college, was applying. (She had an IEP from 2nd grade with LD's) The advice we got was to NOT talk about any of this on most of the application and don't make it part of the main essay. (Common Application essay.) Common Application and many other applications have a space to "tells us something else we need to know." This is where your son should explain his circumstances. Keep it positive, talk more about what he's learned & what he's overcome. My son doesn't want to talk about it & I think for what he's doing that's OK, but my daughter did write a statement to include. In your son's case he really is going to need to explain a few things on his application.

As for 504/IEP's at university. Getting help at college has nothing to do with the application process. S17 had his 504 meeting two weeks ago. They talked with him about getting help at college, and that he should go into the centers and get himself help. (I was very happy they told him, since he wouldn't have listened to me.) The trick here is YOU can't do anything. When he starts registering HE needs to talk to disability services. Bring in his documentation and negotiate appropriate accommodations for himself. Thinks like extra time on tests are very common.

It's also worth it to check out what universities have to offer at Disability Services. They do vary quite a bit from school to school.

Good Luck.

Last edited by bluemagic; 11/01/16 12:11 PM.