Reading this original post felt like a time warp back to my own elementary school days.

Like your son, ladydd, I had difficulty following rules, I ignored my teachers' questions, and I didn't pay attention to the aspects of school that bored me (which were many).

I underwent a very thorough neuropsych assessment as an adult, and I learned that I have ADHD. Also, my IQ results on the WAIS-IV are very similar to your son's scores, with a relative weakness in WMI, though it's still above average.

As an underchallenged kid, I was bored beyond belief at school -- without realizing that this was a problem, as I had adapted to the constant boredom as being just a normal part of school.

Boredom combined with undiagnosed ADHD presented in a very similar manner to what your son is displaying.
Originally Posted by aeh
The history you report of difficulty with following rules and ignoring questions, and frequent disciplinary incidents, suggests that, in addition to the cognitive assessment you had done, some additional investigation, probably beginning from the items I mentioned, might be in order.
Agreed.