Originally Posted by greenlotus
Yep! The 504 is written to say that DD will go to the teacher and have him/her check the agenda. DD cannot remember to do that. The teacher is following the 504 exactly as worded. She expects DD to come to her. The other teachers just let DD bring the work in when they figure out the homework didn't make it in (which actually has only happened 4 times this quarter!!). They do dock her a few points just to acknowledge that the item was late.

I loved the idea of the camera, but phones aren't allowed in the classroom. Also, DD would probably forget to take the picture.

I think your dd is still young enough that you can request the teacher give her a copy of the homework, or at least request that the teacher check with your dd rather than expecting your dd to check with the teacher. My ds' teachers started expecting him to somewhat self-advocate in middle school, and by the time he was in high school self-advocacy was really pushed as an expectation and somewhat built into his 504.

Although your dd might not be ready for this, for anyone else who's reading (and possibly for your dd), this is how my ds deals with this type of a challenge:

1) His school doesn't allow cell phones in the classroom either (with some exceptions based on the teacher) - the key is, if you need taking a picture as an accommodation, you can specify in the 504 that your student is allowed to have the piece of AT that they will use to take a picture (ds also uses a laptop/iPad to write as part of his 504, and he can use those in addition to his phone to take pictures, but he prefers to keep everything together, pictures and notes, in one app on his phone.

2) DS uses the alarm function on his phone to set reminders to do all sorts of things re academics, including turning in assignments. He uses reminders on his phone for a lot of other things too outside of school.

3) I found middle school really really frustrating for *me* because there are so many different options for AT and non-tech etc that can help kids who have EF challenges, and I so wanted to help ds find that magic something that would really really help. He was not easy to convince re trying things either, we'd go through apps together, attend AT sessions together etc... and he'd take it all in but was really resistant to trying things. I think there was a large piece of denial plus not wanting mom involved at that age. Things like using the reminder alerts on his phone he worked out entirely on his own once he was just a bit older (in high school). Something just clicked later - not in terms of magically becoming more organized, but in terms of taking ownership of staying on top of his challenge.

Best wishes,

polarbear