Originally Posted by Beatnik
While her math score was more conservative, it was the subscores that were really interesting. Her "numbers and operations" and "measurement" units were rated above average but not earth-shattering (GLE of 3rd - 4th grade), but her "data analysis and probability" section was WAY higher - closer to 6th - 8th grade level. Given the little math instruction she's had up til now, we were surprised by these scores.

I'll echo aeh's reply above re considering testing due to the fine motor issues you've observed. I'm not familiar with the test your dd's school administered, but fwiw, it's possible that the subtest scores that look low vs high in math may have been impacted by fine motor - for instance, if it takes your dd a long time to form numbers using handwriting relative to same-age or same-grade peers. This is a complete guess on my part, but it seems that math subtests requiring calculation were lower scores for your dd than math subtests requiring thinking ability - and it's possible that there's a second difference between those subtests beyond the type of math being assessed in each: a calculation subtest might require a student to write down numbers, and a higher-level thinking subtest might be multiple choice and only require a circle. If your dd does have a fine motor challenge, the fine motor could be a large part of what the test is measuring rather than math ability alone.

I'm not sure if she's just a high achiever or warrants GT testing based on her results.

This is a bit of pet peeve of mine - kids who are high achievers vs technically way out there highly intellectually gifted need to be given the appropriate level of academic challenge in school too! I realize you're reaching out and doing just that... but I do think that sometimes when people happen onto a forum like this where parents with extremely high IQ kids are chatting, they may downplay the needs for children who aren't really all that out-there in terms of IQ, and the reality is - the kids who have those not-quite-out-there IQs who do extremely well in school and end up at the top of the class also need that something extra in school - sometimes even more so than a student who's got a sky-high IQ number but is happy where he/she is at in the classroom (and that can happen!). The benefit of testing for all students (no matter what their FSIQ) is that it shows where strength/weaknesses are and helps you as a parent understand their learning style and needs. The downside is having to pay for it if you aren't in a situation where school will test. For kids who aren't struggling, I'd say don't bother with testing, especially when your child is in a school program that allows for differentiation and different academic needs. But if you're seeing a potential area of concern, which fine motor struggles still happening in 2nd grade might be - then I'd pursue testing. In this case, you might be able to request the testing through your school district (for fine motor), and it will typically include ability vs achievement testing even though your concern is fine motor.

Hope that makes sense!

polarbear