Thanks so much for these responses.

ChasingTwo - I am very much the type of person who thrives on having the additional knowledge. Interestingly, I've learned through this experience that my DH was identified as GT as child, however, he is less interested (but open to) further testing. He has said he felt the label was problematic for him as a student, since he felt - at the time - that being gifted meant things should come easily to him, so he was put off by subjects that he couldn't master quickly. I'm thinking that her experience (esp as a girl) could be quite different than his was, growing up as a boy in the early 80's.

I just feel daft not knowing how exceptional she is or might be. We knew she was a good reader... but I didn't think it was that far above average. I think I'm having a sense of impostor syndrome about even asking if her scores merit further testing, so your reassurances are really helpful.

aeh - yes, exactly! I'm wondering if there are other deficiencies her early reading has kept us from seeing as well.

TX G Mom - Thanks for this perspective. DD7's scaled score for reading was 2871 and SIP (Standard Items Pool score - estimated percent she could score correctly from all items in the national test bank) was 97 (out of 100).

Her scores for subsections were:
Fiction 3063
Nonfiction 2915
Vocab 2787
Long Passage 2648

Her curve equivalent and national rank were both 99%.

I really appreciate the reassurances. If we do test, it will be to identify what her ceilings are, identify what other areas of relative weakness we might not be seeing (such as fine motor), share the information with her school as they create their yearly individualized plans and to provide supplemental support at home.