I am curious if any of you have similar experiences to us. I was identified HG and learned to read just before age 6 (between k and 1st). I am pretty sure I had some undiagnosed dyslexia, and still spell poorly. But I read well, and was reading several grades ahead by age 7. My strengths are more verbal than by husband, who is highly mathematically gifted, but started reading at 3.

DD10 learned to read around 5.5 to 6. She followed the same pattern as I did. No evidence of dyslexia, but we are going a formal neurocog evil this fall. She is bored (but also feels buried in HW) in what purports to be a full time gifted class.

Enter DD5. She is a young 5. When people listen to her talk, they make comments about early college programs, etc. Until a month ago, she loved stories but had zero interest in decoding words. Now she's interested, but is a very early reader and wants to do it all her own way. I don't have any personal inclination to push after my own and DD10s experience.

But the problem is that our district tests for gifted enrichment in K. I think in a year or so, she'd really benefit, but I see no way she is going to even complete, much less score well on a first grade level IOWA in a few months.

I find this assumption about early reading really frustrating. I just want to meet her needs.