ashley, one of my children had super-super-sensitive hearing when she was younger - from toddler years through around 8-9 years old. She was also a real high sensory kid - she went through sensory OT and a listening therapy program when she was in kindergarten, which helped a lot.

Ultimately, what really helped was discovering she had a severe vision problem - I think that the living with the vision problem for so many years heightened her awareness, dependence and sensitivity to sound. She was able to get through 3 grades in school before we even had a clue anything was wrong with her vision.

This is probably not even remotely related to what's up with your ds, but I wanted to mention it just in case it might be something to consider for him.

I'd also think through whether or not any of his sensory symptoms might be symptoms of anxiety - could be general anxiety or anxiety secondary to something else.

I don't mean for my response to seem negative - just want to put it out there that I think as parents of gifted kids we often place the root of everything our kids experience as giftedness, when sometimes it's something else entirely that's going on. I'd consider - if my child wasn't intellectually gifted and he was experiencing the same issues, what would I do? Is the social anxiety high enough that I'd take him to see a counselor? Is his food texture issue impacting his eating in a way that's significant enough I'd want to take him for a sensory eval or OT eval etc? Sometimes a good place to start is just talking to your pediatrician - ask for their advice and recommendation for local resources.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 09/29/16 04:24 PM.