2nd grade district competition was a horrible experience for my son. None of the kids on his team could agree on his answers and they lost. The proctor brought his scrap paper to him at the end and told him he did a awesome job.

The kids who thought all their answers were right were upset and cryng. His 2E (Aspie) does not help in these situations as he found it difficult to understand why his team mates did not just use his answers.
He wanted to find out were the team placed but his teacher did not want to upset the other kids on the team. I skippd the after competition lunch and let my son ask the judges all the questions he had. They were very kind to him. By the time we left he had figured out the team would not have been in the top 3 winning but they would have placed in the top 6.
He was happy and pleased to know this information.

I am not going to push him this year if he decides not to do it.
His teacher of course will not be happy. Her beginning year AGP test showed him at the end of 5 th grade in math. It is to bad it did not go higher. I would have liked for it to. Instead they will work on the area in 5th with gaps. It is all about the big Common Core aligned state test here.

After thought..

3rd grade AGP math class my son is in this year has several kids from the 2nd grade team. They are all in AGP math this year for the first time. The school offered reading in 1-2 grades.

Maybe working together in class will bring them to a better understanding of team work..

Last edited by maisey; 09/10/16 06:49 AM.