Dd#2 is identified as HG/PG. Dd #1 (7th grade) has multiple learning difficulties and is on an IEP and receives speech therapy and has a paraprofessional in some classes. She's had IQ testing done and tests in the average range. However, based on her poor language comprehension/receptive language difficulties I question the complete accuracy of the results. She's also going to be evaluated for an auditory processing disorder in the next month. I've had many parents of gifted kids tell me that she appears gifted (her way of thinking and problem solving). She is currently starting her 2nd year at a rigorous STEM charter school. Despite her multiple challenges she still maintains mostly B's (with some A's and C's). Fwiw the school is known to lose students due to how challenging it can be. Dd#1 is an extremely hard worker and loves to learn. Her greatest weakness is math (dyscalculia) but loves social studies and it was her favorite class last year.

Last night she confided in me that she is feeling bored in her social studies class and she wishes it would go faster and she could learn more. The statement sounded exactly like a gifted student wanting more challenge. So far she has A's on all her assignments in that class. Starting last year she's also told me she wants to be a middle school social studies teacher.

My questions are....
How do you advocate for a non-identified gifted student to receive more challenge in a subject area?
Have you ever had a school move a student to an AP class during the semester?
And how do you advocate for a student that has learning disabilities but is capable of the work with proper supports in place?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 09/03/16 12:05 PM.