I would argue that not treating people with ADHD is neglect, even cruel. And, that when a person's symptoms can be so severe that they cannot benefit from coping strategies and therapies.

With that said, I have never seen pharmaceutical advertisements in waiting rooms. 👍

My son's diagnosis was made over time by neuropsychologist, psychologist and pediatrician. After diagnosis I was not pushed to pharmaceutical treatment (although that's what I chose).

As an adult, I was first diagnosed based on CBT therapy sessions (therapist is ADHD expert), pysch nurse practitioner in that office made the diagnosis and started medication. I had trouble with the medication and went for a second opinion with a psychiatrist within the same clinic who kinda freaked out that I'd been diagnosed and treated without neuropsychology. So waiting to get in for that testing now.

My experience does not include pushing for diagnoses and pharmaceutical treatment. Medical care providers for both myself and my son have been very clear about non-pharmaceutical treatments, as well as non-ADHD factors which influence cognitive performance.